Sunday, April 19, 2009

Can plastic zippers be fixed?

I bought a new pair of pants and the zipper broke the first time I wore them. I can%26#039;t find my receipt so I would like to fix them myself if possible.

Can plastic zippers be fixed?
You probably need a new zipper: If you have never worked on them before, get someone else to do it for you. Difficulty would depend on the type seam and waistband. With a waistband it is a little more complex because you would need to remove both ends and then reassemble it after you sew in a new zipper. Relative to the price of a pair of good pants, a zipper does not cost too much.





If you really can%26#039;t do it yourself, even though there is no waist band, take it to a seamstress. Ask at your local laundry/dry cleaners which usually have seamstresses. This is where they do alterations (shorten hems, sleeves, etc.) and clothing repairs. I had several jacket sleeves shortened and ithe price was reasonable. If you have a tailoring shop nearby, take it to them and ask %26quot;how much?





Plastic zippers are not durable and for that reason I would recommend that you change it. When I%26#039;ve %26quot;fixed%26quot; them in the past, I%26#039;ve experienced that it snags or splits open again very soon -- so it isn%26#039;t worth wasting time fixing it.
Reply:Take the zipper out and put in a new zipper. Or take to a person who can fix at the cleaners



small business web

No comments:

Post a Comment